Wednesday, July 13, 2016

A Different Bird


For someone who generally dislikes road trips, I just willingly planned a vacation that covers 1255 miles of driving. That's the distance between Portland, OR and Mt. Rushmore; between New Orleans and Pike's Peak; a whole lot of miles any way you look at it. When you factor in a ferry ride over the North Sea and my predisposition for seasickness, one may wonder if I've taken complete leave of my sanity. As I had posted earlier, I have a tendency to want to do all of the things. It's much easier to get away with that mindset in continental Europe. This planning process has taught me that Scandinavia is a much different bird. I had a colleague a long time ago that was on assignment in Arizona from the east coast and his parents visited while he was there. So he took them sightseeing, as one does. When he returned, he was mind-boggled that he could drive north from Phoenix for three hours and still be in the same state. That he had to drive north for another three hours to get to the next state. Conversely, if he set off north from Boston, he would travel through three states and be in the next country within that same three hours. And that, dear readers, is what planning this trip was like. We can't do all the things in Scandinavia. Heck we can't even do all the things in Norway, let alone see more of Sweden and Denmark. It's clearly a sign that we'll need to go back again someday so it's back on the list. The list that just gets longer and longer and longer....

T-31 days and counting...

Next Post: The Volvo Experience

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home